Checklist Schengen Visa (Oct 2019)
Before filling out the application form and booking the appointment for applying for the visa, please prepare the following documentation completely and carefully.
Basic required documents:
o Valid passport (issued within the passes 10 years and signed personally), with at least 2 empty pages;
o 1 current, biometric passport picture (not older than 3 months);
o Completely filled out and signed application form + personally signed declaration (Form “Declaration”);
o Copy of the data page of your passport;
o ARC for Taiwan (in general has to be valid AT LEAST 3 months AFTER the intended leave of the Schengen area), plus 1 copy;
o confirmed hotel bookings for the whole period of stay;
o Flight reservation record;
o Proof of economical roots in Taiwan:
- bank statements of at least last 6 months
- any other possible proof of roots (f.e. marriage, kids, etc.);
o Travel health insurance for the whole period of stay, with Schengen-wide coverage and coverage of all medical expenses of at least 30.000,- €. The insurance must have an office in the Schengen area;
Required Document according to the purpose of stays
o Proof of employment (letter of employer) including the following information:
- since when you are working there
- in which position you are employed there
- how much your monthly salary is
- confirmation that you have approved vacation leave from which date until which date or that you are sent on a business trip from your company to where from when to when and that you are expected back.
o Applicable for students:
Letter of school/university including the following information:
- that you study there / go to school there
- since when you are studying there / going to school there
- until when you will be studying there / going to school there
- that there is a lecture-free period from when to when
- that the university / school is informed about your trip
- that you are expected back
o Applicable for minors:
- birth-certificate (i.a. translated), plus 1 copy
- passports of both parents, plus 1 copy each
- Declaration of Consent (at least sign from one of the parent/guardian who is not going to accompany the minors during the stay)
o Applicable for business-travellers:
- letter of employer, confirming that you are travelling by order of your employer from when to when. And also all costs will be covered by the employer.
- invitation of a company in Germany/Sweden including the following information: who is invited? For which period of time? For what reason? Statement of possible adoption of costs.
o Applicable for self-employed applicants:
- registration of company stating your name, plus 1 copy
o Applicable for applicants invited by a private host:
- Formal Obligation (“Verpflichtungserklärung”) of host in Germany, plus 1 copy.
- Invitation letter and copy of the passport from the host (in some cases copy of the resident permit from Germany)
- for Sweden: invitation letter of host from Sweden including copy of passport and i.a. residence Permit
o Applicable for tourists:
- complete tour-itinerary, each with names included
With a Schengen-visa, you can spend up to max. 90 days within a period of 180 days in the Schengen area. The German Institute Taipei issues Schengen-visas to persons residing legally in Taiwan and whose main destination in the Schengen area is Germany or Sweden.
Persons, who want to stay longer than 90 days in the Schengen-area, have to apply for a long term- visa. Please view our information sheets regarding long term-visas on our Homepage. The German Institute does only issue long term visas for Germany!
The processing time of a Schengen-visa adds up to, after successful application, appr. 1 week.
Only complete application can be processed. We reserve the right to reject incomplete applications.
You cannot apply for your Schengen-visa more than 3 months in advance.
In case, that documents cannot be presented in English or German, a relevant translation has to be enclosed.
The handing over of the above mentioned documentation does not guarantee the issuance of a visa! Intentionally stated wrong information will result of the refusal of your visa.